Friday, October 26, 2012

Devoutly Progressive at Work

The Bell Tower and a Cherry Tree in Bloom from UP's Academic Quad
I have a full-time job, a good one. I'm the newest member of Campus Ministry staff at the University of Portland, a Holy Cross School in the same tradition as my beloved Notre Dame. It is a great place to work and a job full of challenges and creative thinking, as well as some enjoyable liturgical tasks.

Since starting the job in July, I have tried to downplay my own 'devoutly progressive' opinions in public, online places. I've been effectively on hiatus on this blog for a couple of reasons:

2.) Alienating students - I know that a minister who is too openly political with their opinions can alienate wide swaths of their entrusted flock. I don't want to turn away students from more conservative backgrounds/families/worldviews with my peace- and justice-oriented Catholicism.
3.) Self-consciousness/fear - It seems that a sort of conservative voice is dominant from the Hierarchy in this country, at least the media grabs hold of that image and pushes it down our throats. Many people equate Catholicism with conservative politics, and not without good reason. I find myself susceptible to this distortion and am afraid to speak too loudly about my own interpretation of Catholic Doctrine and New Testament Spirituality.

In other words, I'm kind of scared to publicly declare myself as decidedly not-republican now that I'm in a position of ministry. I don't want to be rejected by the dominant voice of the Church, but if that voice is getting too much amplification at the expense of my own (and others') voice, then it's time to put that fear way.

But, aside from a few personal questions which I will not discuss on this blog, nor indeed with any students, my opinions adhere closely and consistently to the Magisterium and to the US Bishops. In fact, despite all the negative press, I am proud to have been formed by the Catholic Church - it is my faith that feeds any commitment I have to the common good and social justice. I believe in a loving God who wills freedom and happiness for individuals and peace and justice in society.

That said, I am still devoutly progressive throughout my political views. What does that mean? A commitment to creating a progressively more egalitarian and inclusive society, which goes out of its way to care for the environment, provide health care and quality education, and minimize prejudice of all kinds - racial, gender, sexual, religious, economic. The government has a place in guaranteeing the equality of dignity and opportunity for all citizens. This involves continually facilitating upward mobility for the poor and marginalized and requiring responsibility from those blessed with abundance of material goods and education.

All of this is in-line with Catholic Social Teaching and, in fact, stems from it. I will do my best to make room for other opinions on economic and social issues. However, I will be up front about some things: I am pro-life in that I am in favor of federal prohibition of abortion. I am also in favor of robust social services for those who need them, including universal access to health care, however that's achieved. Finally, I am anti-war and would probably be best described as a pacifist. In my view, these issues are all complimentary and related.

My progressivism has its roots in my own deeply orthodox theological views: Jesus's example in the New Testament emphasizes that mercy and justice, together, must be priorities over all else- over profit, over ideology, over personal security.


No comments:

Post a Comment