Sunday, March 31, 2013

Alithos Anesti - A Reflection on Loving the New Pope

Happy Easter! Christos Anesti!

In Greece, people don't really wish each other "Happy Easter." For all of Easter Season, they say, "Christos anesti," which means, "Christ is risen." The response is "Alithos anesti," - "Truly he is risen."

A lot has been said about the new Pope. He is already beloved of Catholics of all stripes and many, many non-Catholics, too. His simplicity, humility and care for the neediest appeals to nearly everyone. Liberals and conservatives, Big church-sympathizers and members of the "creative minority," all see Christ shining through him in a remarkable way. Although perhaps not as eloquent as John Paul II or erudite as Benedict XVI, his actions proclaim Christian doctrine and morality in a way even the most brilliant encyclical cannot.

It's wonderful to see.

Let me just say, with not a little bit of shame, that I am flat-out surprised that such a beautiful soul with such a relevant message for the 21st century world could become Pope.

For years I have been been critical, often uncharitably so, of the Hierarchy. It has been hard for me to find a diocesan priest, Bishop or Archbishop who inspires me and evokes a deep sense of love and devotion. Many Catholics, I know, have felt this way. Call it my problem, not the Bishops'; that's fine with me. There are many great parish priests and bishops in the world and in this country. I think I just haven't known them. The fact remains that I have learned Christ's love, mercy, and tenderness not from the priests who've been my pastors or the bishops to whom I owe my allegiance. Instead, my relationship with Christ has been nourished by the laity, permanent deacons and members of religious communities.

From the midst of this institutional Church that has been a source of consternation and confusion for me has emerged a new light. Of course, I had never written off the institutional Church as "dead," although a lot of people had; its doctrine and work has always been more positive than negative, truer to Christ than not. Even so, the talking points, methods and priorities of many vocal US bishops had become frustrating to me as I've grown more mature in my thinking and relationship with Jesus.

In short, I'd experienced a loss of trust in my bishops and in many of the priests they'd sent to be my pastors. I hoped for a new Pope who would change the priorities of the Hierarchy to reflect more closely the priorities of Jesus and the Saints: namely, love of the poor, mercy, and compassion. Sure, there are some questions about sexuality and women's roles in the Church that I kind of hope would be taken up more fully. But, when I think of Jesus and the God I know him to be, I know that the most important issue for our time is care for the poor and suffering, not the ideological stuff that so often distracts me.

Pope Francis is already setting that as the number one priority for the Church. We find Christ in the poor and the world finds Christ in us when we care for the poor. Yes, I hope for evangelization, both traditional and "new," but my conviction for years has been that that comes about through walking the talk.

Looking at Pope Francis in his humility and ability to tear down walls to live like Christ, I am challenged to be a better person, to live the good news in which I believe. In Papa Francisco, I see Christ risen, presenting himself to the whole world. He is an angel asking us, "why do you look for the living among the dead?" Why have I been looking for Jesus among the prestige and power of the hierarchy? He's been living in the poor all along. Once again, he has breathed life into a Church that had nearly killed itself with sex scandals and self-reference.

I always love Easter. This year, though, it is not only a spiritual reality that I embrace and celebrate. My Church feels alive once more, in a way I never thought possible. I love the Pope, despite some flaws, and I would follow him where he goes, just as so many decided to follow Peter or Francis of Assisi in their time.

Alleluia! He is risen! Truly, he is risen!


No comments:

Post a Comment